The History of the Greyfriars Chapel

The first Franciscan Friary on this site grew into a considerable monastery, but this was dissolved in 1538 under King Henry VIII’s orders and the brothers banished. The Franciscans returned to Canterbury some 430 years later when the Anglican Franciscans came in 2003 to live at Eastbridge and worship in the Greyfriars Chapel and do pastoral work in Eastbridge Hospital and the local area.

EASTBRIDGE
HOSPITAL

FRANCISCAN
GARDENS

GREYFRIARS
CHAPEL